Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Measure of a friendship

"The real success of our personal lives and careers can best be measured by the relationships we have with the people most dear to us. . . " – Mary Kay Ash

As soon as I read this quote, I got to thinking about the relationships I have with all of you.

I joke in my myspace profile: "I only add people I know. I’d say sorry, but then I wouldn’t mean it...and that’s not fun for anyone." Well, it’s true. I have added a few bands that I’ve never personally met, but I like their music. Other than that, I know everyone at varying depths.

I have my "myspace top friends" but in my growing list of friends, I have:
-Friends from work
-Friends from college
-Friends from high school
-Friends I’ve met in my travels
-Friends I talk with regularly
-Friends I wish I talked to more

A friend and I have been trying to find time to get together for over a year now. In college we lived across town and saw each other almost every day. We currently live less than a mile from each other and have not been able to meet up. At first it really made me nervous about our friendship – if we were stronger friends, wouldn’t we find the time to meet up even for a quick hello? But then I starting thinking about our relationship. We don’t have to see each other every week, month, or even year for me to know that he’s still a my friend. I would still do anything for him, and I’d like to think that if I really needed to see him he’d come running.

So the same goes to you. I may not be lucky enough talk to you every day, I may not see you often, but if you ever need a friend – I’m here.

No comments: