Saturday, August 2, 2008

Forgiveness

The Bible teaches us about forgiveness, parents and teachers often share stories about the power of forgiveness, therapists will tell patients to release the burden of anger or shame and forgive.

I can forgive all day long for those who have hurt me. Afterall, I’m human and I make mistakes too. I know I’ve hurt people in the past and I hope they have forgiven me.

But what happens when you are faced with a situation that seems unforgiveable. Something so damaging that relationships are permanently severed, hearts are broken, and trust is called into question.

God would say to forgive as it is not our place to judge. We are all sinners. Turn the other cheek.

Is it ok to forgive the person but not the action? I don’t know if I can separate the two.

It’s easier to forgive when the person takes responsibility for their actions and ASKS for forgiveness…but when they don’t?

So this is my cry for help – please pray for me that I will one day be able to forgive. I will never forget, but I hope one day I will be able to forgive.

No comments: