Thursday, July 31, 2008

Outsourcing Romance

I’ve been a supporter for online dating services for many years now. As a busy single, I want to meet Mr. Right, but when? Interoffice dating is out, and since most of my time is spent at work online dating often seems like a great alternative to bar hopping on the weekends. (nothing says love like shots of tequila and a cab ride to his/her place) I’ve met some great guys and though it hasn’t worked out, I’d recommend it for anyone just trying to get out there.

Though I don’t have an interest in getting back online anytime soon, I had to pause when a friend suggested I check this out – It’s Just Lunch. Curious, I went to their website:

“Welcome to It's Just Lunch Dallas, we are a specialized dating service for busy professionals….Our first date experts minimize stress and maximize efficiency by working with your busy schedule to coordinate Lunch, Brunch or Drinks after work as a fun way to meet some of the incredible single professionals living in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Plus we do all the work! We will tell you about your match, coordinate your schedules and make your reservations at a restaurant in Dallas/Ft. Worth that is convenient for both of you. With one phone call and a confidential face-to-face interview in our office, you're on your way to a fun, exciting and productive way to meet quality matches. All you have to do is relax and have FUN!!”

Just because I’m online doesn’t mean I have lost the appreciation for romance, personal connection, and chemistry. Sure I joke with friends and future ex-boyfriends that I’m dead inside, void of all human emotion, etc. And that is mostly true for people I’m not close to, it’s not true for friends and family.

I’d like to think those closest to me know that I get giggly about meeting a new guy, first date jitters, the first kiss, etc. But part of that giggliness is the anticipation after all the work trying to find this new guy. Isn’t part of the pay off of meeting your partner the victory after the hunt? To outsource the screening process seems so disconnected. Where are all the stories? I have countless stories to share with friends about bad dates, online matches that are terrible, creepy guys at bars, and other failed attempts at meeting Mr. Right.

Companies hire third party recruiters to find people for jobs they can’t fill – “Web Designer - Open since April.”

Isn’t it weird to hire a recruiter to fill the latest opening – “MB’s boyfriend - Vacant since July.”

No comments: