Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Mid-week check in

Monday was the big first day at Freeman. I spent most of Sunday afternoon through the evening preparing. Laundry, reading my new employee handbook, completing new hire paperwork, etc. I even planned out my outfit so I could just get up, get fabulous, and go to work on time.

Here's what really happened:

I woke up on time - good start so far. I spent about 5 minutes in the shower trying to decide whether to shave my legs or wait until tomorrow. Since my fabulous outfit was a pair of slacks, I finally decided to wait. Finish hair, suck down coffee, put on outfit....I hate it. Then I begin scrambling through my jam packed closet, screaming to no one in particular "I HAVE NOTHING TO WEAR!!" I decide on a skirt, which means I hop in the shower (fully dressed sans shoes) for a quick shave. 6 or 7 shaving accidents later, I run out the door (late) extra coffee in hand.

I slid into the office and was greeting at the reception desk with my perky recruiter Charlee who announce we were going downstairs for breakfast and Starbucks. I knew it was going to be a good day when they greet me with food and coffee.

When I got to my desk, I had several things waiting for me - a brand new laptop, travel case, travel mouse, travel battery pack, travel coffee mug, welcome sign, cube name tag, reading materials, training binder, fancy ink pen, supplies, etc. Charlee and my new boss fell over themselves that my monitor, cell phone, business cards weren't ready. "But here's the Office Depot catalog, order anything you want. Need a new chair?"

Seriously?? Coming from a company where even your own cube was a hot commodity, I was amazed so much was set up for me before I even got there. My massive flat screen monitor to go with my laptop came by noon and my new phone (that I got to pick the face color) should be in tomorrow.

Over the next few days I have been wow'd by my new company. They have invested so much time and resources in my first week of training that I'm incentivized to bust my hump for them. Not to say that my previous company did a poor job, it's a little eye opening.

I spent so much time and money as a recruiter trying to find the perfect person to work for us, and when I found them I dumped them on their manager and went on the hunt again for the next open spot. go, go, go. But chances are their manager didn't have time to give them a proper welcome either. Resources weren't ready on time, business cards are ready 6 months later, they still haven't been paid for expenses while interviewing 3 months ago, and can I get a pen around here?!, etc. Broken processes we never perfected...and in the 5 years I was there, I was a part of the problem. Ouch.

It's so nice to see a company that recognizes the first impression a new employee has will likely last their career. My first week so far has been flawless....it should be a good career.

No comments: