Friday, January 11, 2008

They don't teach you this in college

When I started my career with Fossil, I was the typical recent college grad. Naive, thinking I should be making lots of money with no experience, and completely willing to work 12-14 hour days/weekends/holidays to get ahead....

And then 2 years passed and I realized that it wasn't really working. All the hours I spent at work rather than with friends, traveling, or trying to be in a successful relationship. All gone.

Now that I'm even just a few years older, I've finally moved up in my career...by way of a mid-20s crisis and 2 cross country moves... Also, I am viciously protective of my personal time. I refuse to get a "Crackberry," I don't share my personal cell number, I don't check e-mail on vacation, I only stay a few nights a week past 6 or 7, and I only work weekends if absolutely positively required. (so far only twice in the past year)

The funny thing is, I feel more successful now than I did working 80 hours per week! I finally have a work/life balance.

I have strong friendships, I have been in a few relationships that have taught me more about me, and now I know what I want out of my life.

I'm happy!

No comments: