Monday, May 14, 2007

Road trips, the Apocalypse, and Friendships

If you felt the Earth below your feet rumble at 9:00am on Saturday, you probably felt it was the end of the world. Well, the bad news is it probably is. The good news is it's because Bucky graduated on Saturday from Texas A&M….after 9 heroic years of keg parties, missed finals, and Q drops he has a diploma. True, he almost slept through graduation. But he found a woman who keeps him in line, out of jail (mostly), and puts up with our group. Randa is a special (or crazy) girl for that.

This weekend was a blast. I've never driven the actual speed limit from Dallas to College Station. This time, I decided to take it slow and let the drive really sink in. I took my usual route down (I45 to 14 to Hwy6), stopped off at my favorite antique shops, and the half way point gas station. It really was a great drive. I've had a lot on my mind lately, and it gave me sometime to think out loud with out all the hassle of people giving me funny looks.

This trip got me thinking about temporary friendships and lifelong friends. I met all of these guys in '98 at Fish Camp. I was going off to A&M excited, but a little scared to start new. Then I met Scotty and Vrooman. Even after Fish Camp they kept me under their wing and are still looking out for me.

Now at age 27, I've lost track of a lot of friends. But I have a few close girlfriends that I cherish. They are my "Sex in the City" friends. We're young, successful, fun, and of course fabulous.

But outside of those girls, I've become so accustomed to fickle friends, work friends, seasonal friends, regional friends. It made me really thankful to have a group of great friends with me for one weekend.

So thanks for the weekend guys. I hope to see you again soon!

"A friend is one of the nicest things you can have, and one of the best things you can be." ~Douglas Pagels

No comments: