Thursday, April 22, 2010

Patio Garden...sort of

I don’t remember a lot of plants around the house when we were growing up. Mom had some ivy plants, but it is only within the last 10 years or so that she has become a garden diva. My sister currently holds the family record of quickest kill. (killed an ivy in 4 hours flat) But she has also had more successes in recent years.

I love gardens, potted plants and fresh cut flowers, but have never had much success keeping plants alive. After college I bought an ivy plant for my apartment. That poor plant moved with me from Dallas to California, California to Kentucky, and Kentucky to Dallas. Against all odds and by no work of my own, it has survived.

April 9, 2010, the following e-mail was sent to our corporate office:

“The property management have some plants to give away that have been switched out in the lobby, they are in the media center, please limit yourself to 2 each, first come first serve.”

The details are fuzzy, but I just remember talking to a colleague in the training department, then being grabbed by the arm, and dragged down the stairs to the media center; a stampede of women from my office behind me. Confused, I picked up a plant and made my way back upstairs to my office.

The result – meet Frank:

I adopted Frank that day and made a promise to keep him alive through the week. (Anything outside of that I couldn’t guarantee) But first, Frank needed a respectable pair of pants.


I am happy to report that Frank is still alive today. Since that small success, I have added an aloe plant, some orange cosmos from my mom’s garden, a zinnia starter kit, and have reclaimed the original ivy plant (my dad was acting as a foster gardener for the last 3 years).















Ivy plant with 9 lives







Aloe plant from Aunt Nita and Uncle Jim










Orange Cosmos today














Orange Cosmos all grown up



Zinnias today









Zinnias all grown up

1 comment:

Casey said...

I absolutely do not remember killing that ivy but I believe you, 100%. Definitely sounds like something I would have done before I discovered plants need, um, what was that again? Oh, yeah....water and sunlight. Whatever.