Tuesday, April 15, 2008

My First Novel

Last night I had to present 3 book ideas to the class. They loved one, and liked the other 2. The one they loved was also the one I really wanted to use.

It was an interesting exercise really. With 6 very different students, and 6 very different literary tastes, our book ideas were so diverse. Murder mysteries, sci-fi adventures, supernatural phenomenon, and then my chicklet/social commentary ideas.

Now I have an idea for a book to get started. But I tend to get hung up on character names. I have a name for the male love interest - made the class swoon just at his name. Ha!

But I don't love the names I have for the two female characters. So I've been going through my contact lists, combining names of friends, looking up names online, and probably spending more time on the name than I need. There's just so much in a name, I want them to be perfect. I'm up for suggestions!

Female #1: Vicious, backstabbing, career focused.
Female #2: Naive, seeking revenge, struggling to find her identity.

This week's assignment is to write a journal entry as the main character. It's supposed to be a pre-novel entry and not something we put in the book. Just something to get us thinking and writing like our character using their grammar, tone, vocabulary, etc.

Should be another interesting exercise to present to the class!

No comments: