Thursday, October 11, 2007

Meetings

If you're one of my few friends who hasn't had the opportunity to sit through pointless meetings – let me take this moment to tell you I'm jealous.

Let me explain…..

In my new role in HR, my performance is based on how long it takes me to fill a position. I've been in my role for…maybe 2 months? But actually recruiting for about a month. Some of the positions I've been recruiting for have been open since April…which for those of you without a calendar handy – that's more than 2 months ago.

As I've been getting acclimated to the new role, I'm finally starting to make some progress with these tough to fill positions. I've finding good resumes, making good networking connections, using my resources, etc. It's looking good!

But I've joked that my day is often filled with meetings, meetings about meetings, meetings to talk about future meetings, and meetings about meetings from the past. Rarely are they actually productive, relevant, and to the point.

Why?

To make me crazy.

So let me get this straight. I need to fill positions within 3-4 weeks…but at least 15-20 hours of my work week is filled with meetings about recruiting/hiring, conference calls, meetings about meetings, and meetings about stuff that doesn't affect me.

Sadly, meeting will never go away. So I would LOVE to get feedback and tips from anyone who has been a part of or led a successful meeting. What did you do, how did you keep people on topic, how was it successful. Surely someone out there has had a positive experience or has seen it done well.

No comments: