Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Mastering the Art of French Cooking....short cuts

This past weekend I went over to my parents’ house to spend a little quality time and to cook mom a (very belated) birthday meal. I wanted to make something special, delicious, and dad-taste-bud-friendly. 

A decision was made, a challenge was accepted, and I was off to make Julia Child’s Beef Bourguignon for the first time. 

 It took hours to prepare (including patting dry every piece of cubed beef), and more time to check on, add more ingredients, move from stove top to oven, adjust slightly, dirty more pans, move from oven to stove top….Mouthwatering smells emerged from the kitchen and leaked out to the patio as it cooked. It was delicious! Beautiful! 

Friends, it tasted remarkably like other meals I’ve thrown in the crockpot on my way off to work. There’s something to be said about making one of Julia’s recipes, but I think my mom said it best: Julie Child's was a bored rich, house wife. 

Now that I’ve earned my cooking badge of honor, I’m back to the trusty crockpot.

No comments: