Monday, June 18, 2007

Road Rage and the Power of the B word

I drive in rush hour traffic every day to and from work. To avoid getting violent with all the ridiculous drivers, I avoid all things angry:

On the way to work I listen to calm music, avoid morning radio shows (which alone often causes me to be violent), and just sip my coffee. On the way home, I usually call my sister to catch up on baby stuff, listen to calm music, and just think about how much closer I am to the weekend.

Tonight I left the office after a long Monday. I called Robyn to make plans for the weekend, and just as we're solidifying plans a woman almost hits me when she halfway cuts me off. One of those things where she tried to cut me off with her tiny Kia and actually decided to look in her mirror and saw my Beast of a car. I slammed on my brakes to avoid her and she (no kidding) yelled at me "Get off the phone you stupid b-tch!"

Ah yes, this is when all the calm music Death Cab for Cutie can provide was no match for my freakishly short temper. Me? Get off the phone? The one driving like a sane person? I should get off the phone? How is it that she drives like an idiot and I'm the b-tch??

Lucky for me I was on the phone with one of the calmest people I know. Thank you Robyn. If I hadn't been talking to you, I probably would have run her tiny little car over, teased her for driving a car that cost as much as my front passenger tire, and called her all sorts of names while giving her the Dallas Highway Salute. (Yes, I'm a lady)

So I managed to get home without clawing her eyes out and just kept thinking – it's the end of Monday. That means the weekend is just a little closer.

No comments: